The Casual Chronicles of an Incurable Creative

An Artist's Ramblings About Sculpting, Glass Beadmaking, Photography, 3D Art and Anything Else That Springs To Mind.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Playing with Clay

Recently I'd signed Jeff and me up for another clay-related night class. Last January, we took our very first pottery class and I really enjoyed working with the clay. I was keen to take another pottery-type class this fall and I found several courses offered through the Port Moody Arts Centre. The one that caught my eye in particular is a bas-relief tile class. There's something about tiles. I dunno what it is, but I'm attracted by the thought of making my own. So I eagerly signed both Jeff and myself up. (Jeff's such a good sport)

Last Tuesday was our second class. The pics below depict my second project which is a panorama scene sectioned over four tiles. You may recognize the chosen scene from the photo I took last Sunday depicted in my previous post. The two shots below are showing the very early stages of the work. In preparation for this project, I "simplified" the image in Photoshop by applying a stylize filter. Next, I sectioned the image into four parts (one for each tile), sized each section to 6x6 inches and printed them out.

When I arrived at the class, I prepared the clay and pressed out four half-inch thick tiles. I then placed the printed images on top of each tile, and with a pin tool, traced the contours of the image into the clay. To further delineate the lines, I used a rubber sculpting tool to press into the clay more deeply.

The next step will be to carve into and build up the forms on the tile. Stay tuned! :)




** I also have an earlier project on the go from the first class... I created a single 12x12 inch tile, but I won't show it off just yet as it's slated to be a gift. ;)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, cool work! I can't wait to see the finished products.

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home